Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras 2011 began on Friday, February 18, and me and the hubby went to Mobile with 6 friends to celebrate.  We had so much fun!  Thanks to some connections, I got us rooms at the Candlewood Suites downtown on Royal Street. 



Robbie and I parked the truck Friday afternoon and didn't move it til Sunday.  I fell in love with downtown Mobile!  So many neat shops and restaurants.  The weather was perfect, and we just walked everywhere.  There were plenty of police presence, so Robbie never felt like it wasn't safe (for those of you who know me, you know I'm naive and never think twice about things like that).  We found the best little locally-owned pizza place downtown Friday night (while the rest of the group left to eat Mexican food) and liked it so much that we took the whole gang there for lunch Saturday.  One of the couples usually goes down every year, and our hotel was about 2 blocks from where they normally stand to watch the parades.  Worked out perfect!
Sitting around, holding our spot and waiting on the next parade to start.

 Couldn't let this one pass without getting a pic!
With my stash for the afternoon.  I'm not one who likes all the beads and stuff that gets thrown, but I ended up with it anyway.  I love the bands and the floats.  Just love looking at all the time and effort put into those floats.  One MAJOR difference about Mardi Gras in Mobile was how clean and family friendly it was.  As soon as the last float cleared, there were about 200 workers walking and cleaning the streets, street-sweepers, garbage trucks, etc.  The streets were clean 10 minutes after the parades were over.
 Me and the hubby in one of the parks downtown.  I really wish Meridian's downtown area could develop like this.  I was in heaven!
Last night there, dinner at Wintzell's.  The best boiled shrimp I've had in a long time.

We've all decided to make this an annual trip.  Can't wait for next year!

2 comments:

  1. We wanted to go to one of their parades this year, but with all the events going on here - I couldn't leave. Looks like y'all had a great time. And, we LOVE wintzell's, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be celebrating in Slidell with my sister this weekend, but I hate I'll be missing Meridian's celebration!

    ReplyDelete