Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Here's a little history lesson on Valentine's Day for ya. 
http://www.theholidayspot.com/valentine/history_of_valentine.htm

"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon." ~Author Unknown



I might be the only female on the planet who thinks Valentine's Day is overrated. Ok, a romantic at heart I'm not.  But it is, seriously.  I mean, why do you need one day to be forced to show people you love 'em?  I think you should show those you care about how much you love them every day.  I try to never miss an opportunity to let special people in my life know that I care. 

But I refuse to buy into the Hallmark holiday that is Valentine's Day. I don't celebrate it.  Robbie and I will buy cards ('cause he gets his feeling hurt if I don't let him do something), but that's it.  No overpriced Valentine's flowers, I don't eat chocolate, and I'm not a hearts kinda girl. ;-)  And forget going out to dinner on this day - you'll freakin' starve before you ever get seated!    To me, Valentine's Day almost makes you resent that special someone because you're pressured to get the absolute perfect gift.  It's no longer about the thought behind the gift.  And women compare gifts, no matter what they say, and judge their men accordingly.  Who needs the pressure?



But see, I'm lucky enough to have a man that celebrates Valentine's Day every day.  I'm always finding notes everywhere- on the bathroom mirror, on my purse, on my windshield.  If he's working in town, I always get breakfast delivered to me (like just now).  I get flowers "just because."  It's the little things like these that make me not need Valentine's Day. 



So see, I don't hate love.  I just hate the social pressure put on one day out of the year for you to prove to the world that you love someone.  It just doesn't make any sense at all to me...I do hope that all y'all that love this day have your best one ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment